Hey I’m Marshall Haas. I started this site to teach everything I’ve learned about building businesses, personal finance, travel, and productivity. If you’re new here, this page is a great place to start.
A Little About Me
I’m the co-founder & CEO of Need/Want, a company that builds e-commerce brands. Over the years we’ve started & created many different products and brands. Some of them failed, some were acquired, and others turned into multi-million dollar companies. I’ve sold million of dollars of my own physical product inventions, however I don’t have any formal training – I’ve winged it ever since dropping out of college.
Awards I’m Proud Of
- Inc. Magazine ranked Need/Want one of the fastest growing private companies in America. In 2018 we were ranked #1 in St. Louis, #1 in Missouri, and #108 nationwide.
- Forbes Magazine named me 30 Under 30 in 2017
Notable Projects & Stories
- I worked at MetaLab as a Partner in their software division for a short time. I co-founded a software service called Peak with Andrew and the team there.
- I was kicked out of Canada while building Peak – fun story (for a future blog post). While I had nothing to do with it, I witnessed Slack get designed and built at MetaLab during my time there. That experience ingrained in me that massive things can have tiny beginnings.
- I funded my first startup by moving to Chile for an equity free grant from the Chilean government.
- I co-created Emoji Masks, a physical product that went viral during Halloween 2014.
- I’m now focused on Peel, a minimalist essentials brand from Need/Want. Peel is most well known for creating the original super thin iPhone case. We’ve since expanded to additional product categories.
Most recently I bought a boutique building in downtown St. Louis and started investing into other small businesses. I’m a part owner in Loop Internet, a fiber internet provider in Pennsylvania.
I’m currently traveling the world (while still working) with my wife using credit card points. We’re living out of Airbnb’s in Europe & Asia for all of 2019 and limiting ourselves to only the belongings that fit in our two suitcases.
What I Write About
I write and teach about a range of topics branching from my own experience being an entrepreneur for the last 10 years. Some popular topics I teach about are:
- Making Physical Products – everything from designing and prototyping a physical product idea, getting it manufactured overseas, building an e-commerce store, and growing your brand.
- Building Wealth – all things personal finance, investing, budgeting real estate, and passive income.
- Traveling More – learn how to travel for free or just a bit more. One of my favorite hobbies has become optimizing credit card points for more travel.
- Productivity & Self Improvement – learn how to focus on the right things and be more effective.
My goal is to publish a new article once a week here.